Friday, July 22, 2011

13.1 miles!!

Coming from a family of runners I've always wanted to get into racing and when I found a half marathon in the little city that we are living in during the time we'd be here in Illinois I thought "perfect!" So I signed up for it and ran my miles and ate my runners food and read runners world magazine and on and on and on. And then it's the week of and I realize 
"wait..i'm about to run 13.1 miles." 

Yup, it's finally hitting and I'm sort of freaking out! For the past week I have fallen asleep to images of myself just dying as I try and run the race. I try to replace them with images of me doing the classic arms-in-the-air-crossing-the-finish-line pose with a huge grin on my face but it rarely sticks as my subconscious is thinking "yeah, right". But weather I am able to summon the energy to be enthusiastic at the end or not I'm going to finish!

My dad has been my greatest supporter (right next to husband) and is definitely my go-to guy for anything running. He's done numerous marathons and is just crazy amazing at anything having to do with running. During one phone conversation we, of course, were talking about the race and he said there are only 4 rules.
1.you finish
2.you enjoy yourself
3.you never STOP, if you have to walk that's okay but you never stop
4.continuation of #3- anything that involves moving forward constitutes as not stopping (hahah)

So I'll keep these firmly in mind and remind myself everything two seconds that time does not matter! I just want to finish! 
After running a grand total of 102 miles for training, 13.1 miles doesn't sound that long. My last long run consisted of 10 miles last Saturday so 3 more miles shouldn't seem too scary, but I'm still an anxious wreck. 
Weirdly enough the closer it gets the more excited and less nervous I am! I'm just going to go with that feeling and have as much fun as possible :)

We just picked up my packet, number and goodies so I'm all set to go!

p.s.Pray that it isn't humid tomorrow morning! It's been in the 90's with up to 70% humidity...death! But I'm going to do it no matter what and it really will be fun!
 I'll let ya'll know how it goes!!

2 comments: